Monday, June 20, 2011

Questions?

Many people are afraid to ask their HCP questions. I think that is pretty natural as we view our HCP as someone who is "in charge" and "superior" in knowledge to us. I would suggest to you that the only way to be a part of your own healthcare is to ask questions. Some HCP will get irritated, but who is paying them? That's right, you are!
I know, I know, the appointment is short and it's hard to remember all the questions you had when you came to the see them, let alone the questions that are generated by the conversation you are presently having. Here is were it is very handy to have a family member/friend/advocate go with you to the appointment. Someone who is not afraid to ask questions till you get the answers you need and deserve! Sure they may have a morning full of appointments and feel they don't have time to answer all your questions. However, this is your health and you have a right to have all your questions answered. In reality, any Caregiver will welcome your questions. If they do not, you may need to get someone else to help you with your health!
In my opinion, there is no dumb question. When given a prescription for any medication, I would ask "Is there a dietary, exercise, more holistic way we can address this health issue?" "What are the side effects of this drug?" "How long will I have to take it?" "If I were your family member, what would you recommend?"

Many times Healthcare Providers do not recommend anything other than a pill because they think you won't do anything other than that. In fact, some HCPs are so relieved you ask that question, now they can tell you what they really wanted to tell you in the first place. I know, I'm a nurse and have been behind the scenes!
When surgery is suggested, again ask " Just how necessary is this?" "Is there another approach we can take?" If you don't ask, a lot of times, you will not be given all of your options. Generally a surgeon will recommend surgery. That is what they do. So keep that in mind too.
Did you know you are free to say "Well, I hear what you are suggesting, but I would like to have a little more time to think about this/research and see if there are other options/I need more time to ask more questions that I just can't think of right now." Remember, you are in charge!
Until next time!
Healthbug

No comments:

Post a Comment