Thursday, June 28, 2012

Honestly! Why should I bother?

What a good question. It takes determination,time and courage to take responsibility for your own health. That said, how do you feel about having someone else tell you what job to work at, where to buy a house, whether you should marry this person or that person, what to wear every morning? Each and every one of these areas takes time and energy to decide just what we want to do. However.....you nor I would ever think of giving that responsibility away, nor allowing someone else to tell us what to do in any one of those areas. So why do we allow this to happen in such an important part of our lives as our health? The answer, as I see it is very short and simple. We have been conditioned to think that we should allow someone else to take up that responsibility. "They know more than I do." "It's just way too confusing for the lay person to understand. I need to leave that area of my life in the hands of the professionals." Am I saying we should not consult professionals? No! That is an emphatic NO! What I am saying is to trust yourself more. It's an attitude issue more than a knowledge issue. The attitude of, 'I know my body better than anyone else, after all I have lived with me 24 hours a day 7 days a week for my entire life. Who else has that kind of knowledge about me?' I am also not discounting information. It takes commitment to listen to and try to understand what your body is trying to say to you. The other thing is doing day to day, hour by hour those things that build health rather than those things that tear down your health. It is a lie that everything that is good for does not taste good! While fruits and veggies may be more expensive now, in the long run they are money well spent. Have you heard that the cost of health care is soaring? It is true. How permanent is a heart attack, stroke, poorly structured bones, gastric distress? Yes eating right can is the answer to every health issue. " But I can't do it alone" you say. "I don't have time to learn all that nutrition stuff!" My DR will never listen to my suggestions. I and my family can't and won't eat those healthy things. It takes too much time to cook from scratch." All those statements are true only based on your attitude. Just how important is you and your families health to you? Do you really care that you may be contributing to your child's poor mental and physical health? Do you care that you may be contributing to your own poor mental and physical health? Harsh words? Believe me, those words are soft compared to the harshness of the real life consequences of poor eating habits and bad food choices. I challenge you to sit yourself down and examine your attitude about your health, about food, and just how those two intertwine. We all want a pill to make it all better, when in truth, taking responsibility for our health is far easier than it looks. A change of attitude is where it starts. Changing one thing, one day/week at a time can make the changes easy on yourself and your family. Best of health to you till next time, Healthbug

No comments:

Post a Comment